By: Matt Rothman
The Coral Glades boy’s volleyball started the season out with an impressive 3-0 win over Coconut Creek High School for their first win of the season.
The Jaguars did not drop more than 16 points in any set. Head Coach Beth Sloan, who coached the girl’s volleyball team to a 14-2 record, is now coaching the boy’s side and was excited to get a win with only two returning players from their team last year.
“We are developing a team with a lot of talent and motivated,” said Sloan. “I’m thrilled with their positive attitude and a new-found love of the game.”
Offensively, the Jaguars only had 14 kills, but junior outside hitter Ethan Cecil has six of them in the win. Dominic Brooks added four kills, and Tyler Leroy chipped in three as the Jaguars had ten different kids play a set.
They also played well defensively as Sean Tzoucalis and Brooks each had two blocks with Mack Strong and Cecil teaching ten digs apiece.
The Jaguars are coming off a season where they went 6-9 and lost in the District Semifinals to Monarch High School and already past their win total from 2018 when they went winless in 17 matches.
While this team this year hopes to make a run for a District Championship, they will face some fierce competition throughout the season. Their next three games are all against teams that won their first game and will meet Coral Springs High School on Thursday, February 27th, at 6 p.m. on the road.
Following that, they will head to Parkland to face Marjory Stoneman Douglas on March 5th before a rematch with Monarch High School on March 12th.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. He is now attending the University of Florida as a graduate student. Matt also covers the New York Islanders for The Hockey Writer, the New York Mets for Last Word on Baseball and Florida Gators Athletics for ESPN Gainesville.
- News2021.03.07Freshmen Star Kate Maston Earns 1st Win in Coral Springs Charter Baseball Debut
- News2021.03.07Water Polo Teams at Coral Springs High School Have Terrific Seasons So Far
- News2021.03.07Coral Springs High School Boys Volleyball Win Opening 2 Matches of Season
- News2021.03.06Coral Springs Charter’s Terrell Taylor Posts Historic Wrestling Season at States