By: Matt Rothman
For only the second time in school history, the Coral Glades softball team started the season out 5-1. They had one of their best teams this year but unfortunately had the season cut short after COVID 19.
They beat Marjory Stoneman Douglas 5-4 and then won four other games by at least 12 runs. The Jaguars outscored their opponents 62-0 and nearly pulled off a significant win over South Plantation High School.
The team was led by six talented seniors, including Lauren Fortunato, who is planning to continue playing at Eastern Florida State College. This was her first season at Coral Glades after transferring from Western High School where she hit two home runs and drove in nine runs.
Morgan Moorer was the lone Jaguar to play varsity all four years of high school and had her best year as a junior. She hit .466 and drove in 13 runs, finishing with four home runs and 34. RBI’s.
Victoria Vilarchao played on varsity since she was a sophomore. She was hitting .400 this year and had one of the team’s four home runs this season. She had two homers last year and drove in 23 runs, helping Coral Glades finish a game under .500. While Vilarchao has not committed yet, her coach, Richard Waldorf, has no doubt she will play in college.
Payton Post and Chelsea Ramu played two years, and Samantha Robbins was in her first year on varsity. Post hit .357 as a junior and had seven hits in 14 at-bats before the season. Ramu and Robbins each saw occasional playing time and were integral to the team’s chemistry.
Despite losing several seniors in what Waldorf calls “the best team that never was”, they feel like the future is exceptionally bright with their freshmen.
Isa Vega had a terrific season and will have three more years on the mound for Coral Glades along with many other talented hitters.
Send Your News to Coral Springs #1 News Site Here.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. Originally from Long Island, he moved to Parkland shortly after high school. Along with Parkland Talk, Matt is the lone contributing writer for the New York Islanders with The Hockey Writers. He worked as the Assistant Sports Editor for his school paper, Eagle News.
- News2020.11.28Coral Springs Charter Football Advances to Playoffs For 2nd Time in School History
- News2020.11.28Coral Glades Football Advances to Playoffs for the First Time in School History
- News2020.11.27Coral Glades Colton Eisenberg Donates Dollars for Charity with Every Successful Kick
- News2020.11.255 Taravella High School Bowlers Roll a Successful Season