By Jill Fox
Sara Gerstenfeld, 16, has been wearing glasses since the age of four. Recently, she found 13 old pairs lying around her house and wondered if they could help others who couldn’t afford them.
A junior at Coral Glades High School, the president-elect of Key Club, and current president of her synagogue’s youth group said leadership is important to her — along with helping others.
Gerstenfeld, who struggled for years with Amblyopia, also called lazy eye, said her goal of being an optometrist came from seeing herself cured through vision therapy.
“I want to help other people the same way my doctor has helped me.
Gerstenfeld created the nonprofit “Sara’s Specs” and began collecting used eyeglasses from residents in her community.
“Over one billion people need glasses, but either cannot afford them or do not have proper access to them,” said Gerstenfeld. “It’s my goal, through Sara’s Specs, to help as many of these people as possible.”
Gerstenfeld takes her donations to the Lions Club of Boca Raton to be refurbished and given to people in need. She discovered The Lions Club donates used eyeglasses to optical missions worldwide — about 30 million pairs each year.
On April 10, she held an event at Coral Glades High School and collected 61 pairs of glasses.
“I really enjoy doing it, and I hope I can collect even more next year,” she said.
Anyone interested in donating glasses can visit Temple Beth Orr, located at 2151 Riverside Drive in Coral Springs. Donation boxes are located outside the entrance to the temple and in the front office.
Send Your News to Coral Springs #1 Award-Winning News Site Here.
- Jill Fox is an Emmy Award-winning writer and producer. She has worked in public relations and television for over 20 years. Fox lives in Parkland with her husband and their two children.
- News2021.04.295 Coral Springs High Schools Ranked Among Nation’s Best
- News2021.04.28Marjory Stoneman Douglas Garden Club “Celery-brates” New Partnership with Tunie’s
- News2021.04.24North Broward Prep Debate Team Wins National Championship
- News2021.04.20Temple Beth Chai Students Have Their Hands Full At the Park