By: Matt Rothman
The Coral Springs Charter girls soccer team wrapped up their best regular season in school history with their 8-0 win on Wednesday night against Somerset Academy.
The Panthers finished with a record of 16-2-1. It was also senior night where Haley Capplis, Dagi Scarpetta, and Brielle Tedesco were all honored before the game.
Capplis has been the captain on the team each of the past two seasons and scored and had three assists against Somerset Academy. She has been a leader on the team and always gets the best out of her teammates, according to Head Coach Kristin Grassi.
Scarpetta has improved in every game during her time at CSC and is well-liked by both her teammates and coaches.
“As a duo, Haley and Dagi have shown the others that leadership is not just about what you say, but what you do on the field, or when people aren’t watching,” said Grassi.
Lastly, Tedesco is playing her first season on the varsity soccer team and had her best game of the season on Wednesday, providing depth for the backline.
Madison Micioni continued her tremendous season scoring goals 11 and 12 and also had a pair of helpers. Ireland Thigpen scored twice as well, and Sabrina Basso and Lexi Porro each scored once.
Despite their amazing season, the Panthers lost one game in Districts this season to American Heritage School and will have to settle for the two seed in the District Tournament. However, they will receive a bye in the quarter-finals and face the winner of FAU-High and St. John Paul II Academy.
So far this season, the Panthers beat FAU-High twice, outscoring them 14-0 in the two games. They also defeated St. John Paul II Academy 4-0 earlier this season and will be the likely opponent for the Panthers.
The semifinal game will be played at American Heritage in Plantation. If they can win, they will advance to the District Finals for potentially a rematch with them.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. He is now attending the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2021.07.21J.P. Taravella’s All-County Outfielder Luis Rodriguez Makes His College Choice
- News2021.07.19Coral Springs Girls Travel Basketball Team Ranks Number 1 in the State
- News2021.07.16Coral Springs Native Caleb Roberts Selected in 5th Round of MLB Draft
- News2021.07.16J.P. Taravella Grad Jack Sinclair Drafted in 16th Round of MLB Draft