By: Matt Rothman
For the fourth time in the past five years, the Coral Springs Charter Cheerleading Team won regionals after their first-place performance Friday night at Coral Glades High School.
The Panthers were one of eight teams to compete against schools from Miami-Dade, Broward, and Palm Beach Counties in Region 4 in the small non-tumbling.
During two of those years, the Panthers won the state competition and had two girls in Olivia Smith and Krystal Wallace participating for a third state championship.
Currently, they have 12 girls on the team with Chandler Gentile, the only other competitor to win one State Championship. CSC is also a young team consisting mostly of freshmen and one eighth grade student.
“A lot of the girls had to step up from being on J.V. and put in a lot of work to prepare themselves for the varsity level,” said Head Coach Rachal Garris. “Our older girls needed to show a lot of leadership as to how we cheer at Coral Springs Charter.”
Garris, who is married to varsity football coach Matt Garris, was a cheerleader in college at FIU and is in her eighth season at CSC. She is assisted by Rueben Johnson, who has done a terrific job helping the girls throughout the season.
On Friday, February 1, at the University of Florida, the Panthers will compete for another State Title and will not compete until the finals after scoring over 70 in Regionals. They will also have the opportunity to participate in Nationals on February 6-7 in Orlando at Wide World of Sports.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. Originally from Long Island, he moved to Parkland shortly after high school. Matt worked as the assistant sports editor for his school paper, eaglenews.com in college becoming just one of nine students in his graduating class to serve over 1,000 community service hours. His goal is to travel to every Major League Baseball stadium and has been to multiple US Open finals. He hopes to one day to be a beat writer for a professional team.
- Schools2020.02.26J.P Taravella Basketball Makes History Playing in First Regional Semifinals Game
- News2020.02.25Coral Springs High School Baseball Throw No-Hitter in Win over Hollywood Hills
- News2020.02.25Coral Glades Boy’s Volleyball Begin Season with Win
- News2020.02.25Coral Glades Boy’s Tennis Win Second Match of the Season