By: Matt Rothman
For the fourth time in the past five years, the Coral Springs Charter Cheerleading Team won regionals after their first-place performance Friday night at Coral Glades High School.
The Panthers were one of eight teams to compete against schools from Miami-Dade, Broward, and Palm Beach Counties in Region 4 in the small non-tumbling.
During two of those years, the Panthers won the state competition and had two girls in Olivia Smith and Krystal Wallace participating for a third state championship.
Currently, they have 12 girls on the team with Chandler Gentile, the only other competitor to win one State Championship. CSC is also a young team consisting mostly of freshmen and one eighth grade student.
“A lot of the girls had to step up from being on J.V. and put in a lot of work to prepare themselves for the varsity level,” said Head Coach Rachal Garris. “Our older girls needed to show a lot of leadership as to how we cheer at Coral Springs Charter.”
Garris, who is married to varsity football coach Matt Garris, was a cheerleader in college at FIU and is in her eighth season at CSC. She is assisted by Rueben Johnson, who has done a terrific job helping the girls throughout the season.
On Friday, February 1, at the University of Florida, the Panthers will compete for another State Title and will not compete until the finals after scoring over 70 in Regionals. They will also have the opportunity to participate in Nationals on February 6-7 in Orlando at Wide World of Sports.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. He is now attending the University of Florida as a graduate student. Matt also covers the New York Islanders for The Hockey Writer, the New York Mets for Last Word on Baseball and Florida Gators Athletics for ESPN Gainesville.
- News2021.03.07Freshmen Star Kate Maston Earns 1st Win in Coral Springs Charter Baseball Debut
- News2021.03.07Water Polo Teams at Coral Springs High School Have Terrific Seasons So Far
- News2021.03.07Coral Springs High School Boys Volleyball Win Opening 2 Matches of Season
- News2021.03.06Coral Springs Charter’s Terrell Taylor Posts Historic Wrestling Season at States