By: Matt Rothman
The Coral Springs Charter softball team kicked off their season with a win as they hope to become the first school in the State of Florida to win six state championships in a row.
They started their season against Doral Academy, who reached the final four in states and won 6-3 to move to 1-0 on the season.
Leading the way was sophomore Brianna Godfrey. It is her fifth year on the varsity team, and she began her season by hitting a two-run home run as well as earn the win on the mound. She allowed two runs in five innings and struck out nine.
Alina Varga finished the game allowing a run in two innings as she recorded all six outs via the punch out.
Seven of the nine hitters in the Panthers lineup recorded a hit, as Bridget Dunham, Varga, Taylor Golden, and Vicki Vasquez all drove in runs.
Up next, CSC will have another tough matchup with West Broward High School in Coral Springs on Monday, February 24, with the first pitch scheduled for 6:30 p.m.
West Broward won their opening game of the season, 11-2, and went 23-5 last year to reach the state finals. However, they were shutout 10-0 in their only meeting last year with the Panthers.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. He is now attending the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2021.07.21J.P. Taravella’s All-County Outfielder Luis Rodriguez Makes His College Choice
- News2021.07.19Coral Springs Girls Travel Basketball Team Ranks Number 1 in the State
- News2021.07.16Coral Springs Native Caleb Roberts Selected in 5th Round of MLB Draft
- News2021.07.16J.P. Taravella Grad Jack Sinclair Drafted in 16th Round of MLB Draft