This April Fool’s Day article was the talk of two cities on Friday. Thanks for playing along and reading Coral Springs Talk!
By: Sharon Aron Baron
After late-night negotiations, the City of Coral Springs formally announced that they would be annexing the City of Parkland.
There was some debate among Parkland city leaders in keeping their name. However, Coral Springs City Manager Erdal Dönmez reminded the commission that Coral Springs was “older, provided more community resources, and more importantly had more fun things to do.”
Since both cities offered many of the same government services, officials said residents would be the beneficiary of significant savings on the municipal portion of their tax bill. Both cities agreed that since Coral Springs Police and their 911 dispatch system was far superior, it would remain. The fire department, which had already merged, would continue operations.
“This is great news for our residents,” said Coral Springs Mayor Skip Campbell. “We are looking forward to Parkland residents becoming part of our beautiful city – and our tax base.”
According to former Parkland Mayor Michael Udine, who made the recommendation to consolidate the cities back in 2014 said that the City of Parkland government building would be converted to charter school welcoming students from around the county – even as far as Deerfield Beach.
“We believe it is in our resident’s best interest to be known as Coral Springers,” said Udine. “Something just happens to people when they live in Parkland. I don’t know; it just changes people over the years into self-entitled…..hey…please don’t quote me on that.”
Coral Springs Vice Mayor Dan Daley was ecstatic about the new merger and was looking forward to taking his dogs Molly and Zoey to Barkland.
“It’s a new day in Coral Springs,” he said. “It’s not every day you wake up and have 26,000 new constituents.”
- Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- Events2021.07.21TICKET ALERT: ‘Menopause The Musical’ Heads to the Coral Springs Center For The Arts
- Events2021.07.19TICKET ALERT: Coral Springs International Dinner Dance Celebrates the USA
- Events2021.07.13Ticket Alert: The Ultimate QUEEN Celebration Heads to the Coral Springs Center for the Arts
- Events2021.07.12Coral Springs Festival of the Arts Accepting Artist Submissions for 2022 Event