By: Matt Rothman
In her first week as the head coach of the Coral Springs High School girls volleyball team, Tashieka Tatum John led the Colts to a pair of victories over Piper High School and Coconut Creek High School.
John is assisted by Rayanna Rickard, a 2020 graduate from CSHS. She spent three seasons on varsity and helped lead the Colts to 29 wins.
“It means a lot to win my first two games as Head Coach of Coral Springs High School,” said Coach John. ” The wins wouldn’t be possible without the effort and hard work of the girls and dedication of Rayanna Rickard. I’m excited to join the program, and I look forward to what the season brings.”
John, from the U.S. Virgin Islands, was recruited in her senior year of high school to play Division 1 volleyball in Florida but chose to attend Clark Atlantic University in Atlanta to be closer to her family. She played four years of volleyball on a scholarship and revived several awards. Tatum also led her team in her division in service aces as a freshman.
Currently, John is entering her 15th year teaching at Sanders Park Elementary School in Pompano Beach and is coaching for the first time in her career.
The Colts are coming off a six-win season last year. The teams consist of Sophonie Jeanty, Anistyn Pimpleton, Olivia Moore, Josefine Majdoch, Sa’nya Faison, Sierra Evans, Breanna Scott, Kaylah Pinkey, Rebecca Assena, Kaylee Belliard, Bailey Vance, and Alexandra Soblotne.
Next, the Colts will try and close the week unbeaten when they play Blanche Ely High School on August 26. This will be the Tigers’ first game after they went 8-6 in 2021.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. He is now attending the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2022.10.01Coral Springs Charter Girls Volleyball Riding 3-Game Winning Streak
- News2022.09.29Coral Springs Charters’ Bella Bertorelli Commits to Play College Softball
- News2022.09.29Week 5 High School Football Games in Coral Springs Rescheduled
- News2022.09.282 Coral Springs Charter Students Receive Military Academy Nominations from Rep. Ted Deutch