By David Volz
Coral Springs High School wrestling is getting ready for the upcoming season.
Assistant Coach Henry Johnson believes this year’s team can be successful. He is cautiously optimistic. “We have a young team, but I am excited about the potential we have. We have some good wrestlers on this team,” he said.
Last year, the Colts wrestling team had a 12-0 regular season record. Henry believes this year’s team can also win and qualify for the regional and state meets. The team workouts are intense and demanding, but team members are eager to participate in challenging practices.
Jason Jackson, a senior wrestler in the 138-pound weight class, is looking forward to the season. He finished fourth in the district finals last year. “It takes a lot of determination to do well in wrestling. I am working hard to get ready for this season. I believe we will do well,” he said.
Tyler Green, a sophomore, is wrestling in the 144-pound weight class. Last year, he also finished in fourth place in the district finals.
“It takes hard work and effort to win in wrestling. I am looking forward to the season,” he said.
The Coral Springs High School wrestling program has achieved success over the years. Head Coach Dan Jacob and Johnson have worked to develop a team that competitive wrestlers want to join. Coral Springs has hosted many large dual meets that attract teams from all over South Florida. The Colts achieved success at the district, regional, and state levels. Among his many honors, Jacob is a Broward County Wrestling Hall of Fame member.
- David Volz has worked as a writer in South Florida for 35 years. He has written for the Sun-Sentinel, Hollywood Gazette, School Transportation News, South Dade News Leaders, Observer among others. He has an MA in Communications from Florida Atlantic University and a BA in Communications from Valparaiso University. Volz teaches Communications at Miami Dade College and Palm Beach State College. He lives in Coral Springs and enjoys running and participating in 5Ks and half-marathons.
- NewsDecember 5, 2023Ramblewood Middle School Girls’ Basketball Team Qualifies for Semi-Final Game
- EventsDecember 5, 2023Artistic Autism Fundraiser Takes Place at Wings Plus in Coral Springs Dec. 16
- EventsNovember 26, 2023Coral Springs-Parkland Democratic Club Holds Annual Holiday Party
- NewsNovember 22, 2023Interfaith Unity Service in Coral Springs Celebrates Religious Tolerance and Thanksgiving