By Jill Fox
A benefit will be held to raise money for a dedicated firefighter paramedic who is fighting cancer.
For over two years, Chris Bradley has not only been a firefighter paramedic, but he has also been an instructor of paramedic and EMT classes in Coral Springs.
At just 35-years-old, Chris has already beat cancer once: a late-stage melanoma that spread to his lymph nodes. But in March, doctors discovered a new mass of melanoma in Bradley’s brain which has his students offering their help.
Before his cancer diagnosis, Chris was an instructor for paramedic class 02-18, a 14-month training program. Now, his class is hosting a charity car and truck show for the benefit of the Bradley family.
Kevin Sullivan, a lead instructor for the paramedic program and a captain with the Coral Springs Fire Department, said Bradley, who recently had emergency surgery to remove cancer from his brain is still undergoing treatment.
Sullivan said he is doing well and has already started coming in to work once a week to keep busy.
One of the students in the class, Erik Bentley, who owns an automotive shop, is taking the lead on the fundraiser planned for June 30.
Bentley said every class is required to have a charity event of their choosing, and when his classmates found out that one of their instructors was ill, they agreed it was an excellent opportunity to meet the requirement as well as help his family out.
The car show will be entirely free for the public, with free refreshments, a 50/50 raffle, silent auction “fill the boot,” a DJ, a Game of Axes, and fire trucks on display.
Bentley said every dime raised would be going to the Bradley family, which includes Chris, his wife, Kara, and their children, Emma, 2, and Jackson 10 months.
“We’re hoping there’s going to be a great turn out and raise a good amount of money for Chris and his family to help them go through the rest of these hurdles,” said Sullivan. “Anything we can do to help them out with medical expenses and their kids.”
Bentley is still looking for sponsors, silent auction donations, as well as more local vendors to provide services. Anyone interested in showing their vehicle should contact him at Erik@LashwayMotorsports.com.
The Charity Car Show will take place on Sunday, June 30 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Coral Springs Regional Institute of Public Safety, 4180 NW 120 Ave.
- Jill Fox is an Emmy Award-winning writer and producer. She has worked on the public relations side as well as the television side of marketing for NBC Universal. A true Floridian, Fox grew up in Ormond Beach and earned her Bachelor’s Degree in Economics and Advertising from the University of Miami. During college, Fox enjoyed working at Walt Disney World. She loves living in Parkland with her husband, Brian and their two children, Madden, 10 and Randi, 6.
- News2020.05.31Countywide Curfew Issued Due to Ongoing Civil Unrest
- Schools2020.05.31Summit Academy Charter School Celebrates First Graduating Class
- News2020.05.28Coral Springs Fire Department Chaplain’s 22-year-old Son in Car Crash
- News2020.05.14Coral Springs Charter School Drama Students Takes their Talents Online