By: Sharon Aron Baron
The hopeful eyes of rescue dogs welcomed curious onlookers and customers who drove up for lunch at Chick-fil-A on Saturday. Would one of them take them to their forever home?
Volunteers with the Grateful Paws Dog & Cat Rescue Inc. stood outside of Central Pet hoping to find new homes for their dogs from one of the many customers that snake along the drive-thru lane outside. Were they successful?
“We had three applications to foster today,” said Director Sheri Caldwell. “We had an application to adopt earlier this week, and we had a meet and greet at the event with the potential adopter.”
She said that the applicants decided it wasn’t the right match, but said another person was interested in this particular dog.
Grateful Paws Dog & Cat Rescue Inc. was established in 2006 and is a nonprofit organization. They are a no-kill rescue group that is all-volunteer and no one on their board earns a salary.
Caldwell, who is a resident of Coral Springs, said that most of the dogs are owner surrendered or strays. The
organization doesn’t even have a shelter, and all of their dogs and cats live temporarily in volunteer foster homes until they are adopted. The best part is that they can tell potential owners everything about the dog. “It’s been a very good experience for us and has worked very well that way,” she said.
Dogs and cats don’t go home with just anyone. Their board reviews the applications and tries to match the right pet with the right home. They also perform a home visit prior to the adoption.
Grateful Paws has two large fundraisers a year to help pay for veterinarian care, food, and medications like flea and tick control.
A dog can be in foster care from as little as a month to even a year. “If the dog has medical issues, we are going to do a fundraiser to take care of that.” said Caldwell.
Their 5th Annual Fundraising Event will be held on Wednesday, March 18 at Alibi in Fort Lauderdale. Everyone is welcome to attend to help support their efforts.
- Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- Events2021.07.21TICKET ALERT: ‘Menopause The Musical’ Heads to the Coral Springs Center For The Arts
- Events2021.07.19TICKET ALERT: Coral Springs International Dinner Dance Celebrates the USA
- Events2021.07.13Ticket Alert: The Ultimate QUEEN Celebration Heads to the Coral Springs Center for the Arts
- Events2021.07.12Coral Springs Festival of the Arts Accepting Artist Submissions for 2022 Event