By Kevin Deutsch
The hit-and-run driver who seriously injured a 10-year-old bicyclist in Coral Springs on Sunday has come forward and admitted his involvement to investigators, police said Tuesday.
The man, whose name has not been made public, was driving a silver Toyota Tacoma pickup truck east in the 8400 block of Northwest 40th Street around 8:40 p.m. when witnesses said he struck the boy riding his bicycle—then continued steering toward Riverside Drive, according to Coral Springs Police.
“The vehicle/driver never stopped to render aid to the juvenile and did not alert police of the crash,” police said in a press release.
Arriving officers found the 10-year-old victim — accompanied by friends — with injuries to his head, face, and lower body. He was taken to Lyons Park, then flown by BSO Air Rescue to Broward General for treatment.
Follow-up by police with hospital staff revealed the boy suffered non-life-threatening injuries to his face and lower extremities, police said.
Coral Springs Traffic Homicide investigators collected evidence from the crash scene, along with witness statements, police said.
On Monday, the day after the crash, the driver of the Tacoma “voluntarily responded to the Coral Springs Police Department and informed investigators of his involvement,” police said.
Police seized the suspected hit-and-run vehicle as evidence, and the driver provided a statement to investigators, police said.
No arrests had been announced as of Tuesday night.
Anyone with information about the crash is asked to contact THI Investigator Eric Schuster at (954) 346-1247 or Eschuster@coralsprings.org.
Send Your News to Coral Springs #1 Award-Winning News Site Here.
- Kevin Deutsch is an award-winning crime journalist and author. A graduate of Florida International University, Kevin has worked on staff at The Miami Herald, New York Daily News, and The Palm Beach Post.
- Crime & Safety2022.01.21Coral Springs Police Find Fentanyl-Laced Cocaine During Traffic stop
- Events2022.01.20Coral Springs Resident to Compete in Miss Florida Pageant
- Crime & Safety2022.01.20“Sorry But I Have To Do This”: Armed Robber Rips Off Coral Springs Vape Shop
- Crime & Safety2022.01.19Coral Springs Murder Victim May Have Been Targeted at Strip Club