By: Matt Rothman
FC Prime 07 boys soccer team was officially crowned US Clubs National Champions.
Made up of 15 players from Coral Springs, FC Prime managed to beat teams from both Chicago and Oklahoma during the group stage of a tournament.
They then faced Liguita Brasil from Washington State in the semifinals.
The game was tied after regulation, and after neither team scored in extra time, FC Prime went on to win 5-3 in penalty kicks to advance to the finals. In a rematch against St. Louis Scott Gallagher, FC Prime won 1-0 to win the championship.
According to Jose Mendez, it is unbelievable how much they have accomplished this season with the help of coaches Freddy Ponton and German Lopez.
“It’s not just the National Title, but also the State Cup Title and the International Cup that we won in Guatemala,” Coach Mendez said. “The boys are more than teammates. They look at each other like brothers and are willing to fight for each other on the pitch. I believe that is the key to the team’s success.”
The team consists of Coral Springs residents Alex Prado, Brenden Ponton, Diego Mendez, Kendry Villafuerte, Frame Detken, Jose Gabache, Enrique Rabadan, Julian Lujan, Diego Moron, Martin Alonso, Matthew Tabares, Hector De la Cruz, Joao Nunes, Jose Larez, and Mateo Pereira, along with Madden Arboleda, Noah Daswani and Ryan Meyer from Plantation, Fort Lauderdale, and Boca Raton Community High School.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student. He also works for the Mohave Valley Daily News in Bullhead City, Arizona covering high school sports.
- NewsDecember 1, 2023Coral Glades Basketball and Soccer Teams Face Mixed Fortunes in Recent Matchups
- NewsNovember 26, 2023High School Basketball in Coral Springs Tips-Off on Black Friday
- NewsNovember 25, 2023Carter Brooks of Coral Glades Named PGA South Florida Player of the Year
- NewsNovember 23, 2023Coral Springs Charter’s Catcher Stephanie Basso Makes College Pick