A suspect from Coral Springs who fled from Broward Sheriff’s Office deputies in a stolen car remained in critical condition late Tuesday afternoon after he crashed into an oncoming vehicle in Pompano Beach.
The incident began shortly after 12 p.m. when deputies responded to 1042 N.E. 33 St. in Oakland Park regarding a 911 disturbance call. As arriving deputies started to make contact with a man standing outside the residence, the man, who was later identified as Angelmi Gutierrez, 20, jumped into a gold Honda Accord. Detectives later learned the Honda was stolen.
As Gutierrez fled the scene, he struck a BSO deputy on his arm with the stolen car. The deputy jumped out of the way to avoid further injury. BSO deputies followed the fleeing suspect north on Dixie Highway into Pompano Beach. As Gutierrez was approaching Northeast 10 Street, he lost control of the Accord, veered into southbound traffic, and struck a Cadillac that was driven by Larry Koontz, 50, of Pompano Beach.
Pompano Beach Fire Rescue paramedics transported Gutierrez and the only occupant of the Cadillac to North Broward Medical Center. Koontz suffered minor injuries.
- Sharon Aron Baron is the Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- News2020.09.22MD NOW in Coral Springs Now Offering Free Flu Shots
- News2020.09.205 Cases of Child Abuse Reported this Week in Coral Springs Crime
- News2020.09.19Vice Mayor Joy Carter Appointed to Serve on Florida League of Cities Legislative Policy Committee
- News2020.09.18Coral Springs Employer Awards Grants to 2 Minority-Owned Businesses