A suspect from Coral Springs who fled from Broward Sheriff’s Office deputies in a stolen car remained in critical condition late Tuesday afternoon after he crashed into an oncoming vehicle in Pompano Beach.
The incident began shortly after 12 p.m. when deputies responded to 1042 N.E. 33 St. in Oakland Park regarding a 911 disturbance call. As arriving deputies started to make contact with a man standing outside the residence, the man, who was later identified as Angelmi Gutierrez, 20, jumped into a gold Honda Accord. Detectives later learned the Honda was stolen.
As Gutierrez fled the scene, he struck a BSO deputy on his arm with the stolen car. The deputy jumped out of the way to avoid further injury. BSO deputies followed the fleeing suspect north on Dixie Highway into Pompano Beach. As Gutierrez was approaching Northeast 10 Street, he lost control of the Accord, veered into southbound traffic, and struck a Cadillac that was driven by Larry Koontz, 50, of Pompano Beach.
Pompano Beach Fire Rescue paramedics transported Gutierrez and the only occupant of the Cadillac to North Broward Medical Center. Koontz suffered minor injuries.
- Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- News2021.06.23New Religious School Director Joins Temple Beth Orr in Coral Springs
- Events2021.06.22Coral Springs Festival of the Arts Accepting Artist Submissions for 2022 Event
- Events2021.06.22Ticket Alert: Comedian Steven Wright Performs at the Coral Springs Center for the Arts
- Events2021.06.18Volunteers Needed for Coral Springs Drive Clean-Up Day June 26