By: Sharon Aron Baron
The Florida Junior Panthers hockey team won the Congressional Cup in Washington DC last weekend beating five other teams from around the country to win the Championship.
But that isn’t all. The travel hockey team Squirt A division recently won the Irish South Bend Cup in Notre Dame.
The team, consisting of players ages 10 and under was led to their victory by Coach John Griffin and Assistant Coach Randy Rodriguez, along with players: Koen DeVries; JP Torregrossa; Miles Mittentag; Luke Colton; Ryan Folic; Jackson Rodriguez; Jay Cirigliano; Anthony Kraus; Luca Macarie; Michael Rozenblat; Brandon Jones; Brian Pine; Von Seys; Jake Cochran; and Justin Rosenthal.
Although the team members practice three days a week, keep up the responsibilities of school and travel around the country, they still take the time out to show they care. Recently, they asked Parkland resident Michael Weiner and his father to be honored at a game. In December, Weiner, 11, was riding in a car with his mother when they were hit by a driver in a stolen car. Tragically, his mother, Christianne Weiner, a fourth grade teacher, lost her life. Michael dropped the opening puck at the game, and the team provided him with a signed Aaron Ekblad jersey and professional hockey stick.
Next up for the team? They head to the Statewide Amateur Hockey of Florida Championships on March 3 in Estero Florida.
- Sharon Aron Baron is the Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- News2020.09.19Vice Mayor Joy Carter Appointed to Serve on Florida League of Cities Legislative Policy Committee
- News2020.09.18Coral Springs Employer Awards Grants to 2 Minority-Owned Businesses
- News2020.09.17VIDEO: Coral Springs Police Respond to Alleged Rough Arrest Video
- News2020.09.14City of Coral Springs Hosts Plasma and Blood Drive