By: Chris Brunner
Community Emergency Response Team – or CERT will be holding the Florida Safety Fest in Coral Springs to help raise money for all of their local teams. Originally held at Firefighters Park and called the Fire Prevention Family Fun Day back in 2010, the event run by the Margate CERT has grown so much that they needed a larger venue and more personnel to help run it.
In 2016, the event name changed to Florida Safety Fest and moved to the Sportsplex in Coral Springs and is now run by all of the CERT teams in Broward County with the support of the Fire Chiefs’ Association of Broward County, a 501(c)3 corporation, as a fund raiser for the local teams.
On Saturday, Nov 5, from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. the Florida Safety Fest event will have something for the entire family including food vendors, children’s activities and bounce houses. There will also be SWAT and K-9 demonstrations by the police departments, extrication demonstrations by local fire departments, equipment displays from police, fire and other agencies and much, much more.
CERT teams provide free training in disaster response to ordinary citizens throughout the country. Team members work closely with a sponsoring agency, usually a fire or police department, to advance their training and to learn new skills. When called upon, teams provide large-scale emergency and disaster response, first aid and safety at public service events, assistance with missing person searches, firefighter rehab, along with many other support functions as requested by the local agencies.
The Sportsplex is located at 2575 Sportsplex Dr, Coral Springs, FL 33065.
- Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- News2021.10.27Bites-N-Sips Returns to Coral Springs on Nov. 5
- Events2021.10.22Tickets Still Available for Comedian Whitney Cummings Nov. 12
- Events2021.10.21Tickets Still Available for ‘The Price is Right Live’ in Coral Springs Oct. 29
- News2021.10.19Volunteers Needed to Assist Free Food Distribution at Chabad of Coral Springs