By: Matt Rothman
Coral Glades graduate Angelo Smith officially committed to play college baseball at the University of Central Florida following his sophomore year.
A 2022 graduate from Coral Glades, Smith began his college career at Indian River State College and will play there for one more season before competing for UCF in 2025.
“It feels great to be committed to UCF,” Smith said. “I honestly can not believe that I am able to have this opportunity to play at a Power 5 school.
Smith began playing baseball when he was four and was also a four-year starter on the varsity baseball team at Coral Glades. During those four seasons, the Jaguars won 41 games. Head Coach Joe Franco says Smith was a player who grew up in the program and is extremely happy for Smith.
“Angelo and I spoke around his junior year about him being a pitcher at the next level, and it was a great decision for him,” Head Coach Joe Franco said. “He has a high ceiling, and I’m so proud of him. “
In his first year of college baseball, Smith played alongside high school teammates Jassiel Valbuena and Matt Rubin. Smith made 15 appearances on the mound and picked up three wins with 48 strikeouts in 38 innings.
Smith said the recurring process was complex, with several college coaches around Florida trying to grab him, but he realized that living close to home was the best option for him. Before playing at UCF, Smith hopes to improve his pitching and be able to command all of his pitches.
UCF has been to 12 NCAA Tournaments but has not made one since 2017. They are coming off a season where they won 33 games a season ago.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student. He also works for the Mohave Valley Daily News in Bullhead City, Arizona covering high school sports.
- NewsDecember 4, 20232 Local Rivals Clash; Basketball, Soccer and Wrestling Season Underway
- NewsDecember 1, 2023Coral Glades Basketball and Soccer Teams Face Mixed Fortunes in Recent Matchups
- NewsNovember 26, 2023High School Basketball in Coral Springs Tips-Off on Black Friday
- NewsNovember 25, 2023Carter Brooks of Coral Glades Named PGA South Florida Player of the Year