By: Matt Rothman
The four local high schools in Coral Springs began a busy week of action with the BCAA Championship in swimming and the start of the volleyball District Tournament.
Coral Springs Charter
Coral Springs Charter shined in the pool this week, with the boys placing fifth and the girls coming in fourth. Brian Hamilton and Marianna Montes finished fourth place, while John Albornoz came sixth. CSC also homeward their seniors.
After winning 17 matches a season ago, the girls volleyball team recorded only nine victories this year and lost in five sets against Pompano Beach High School in the opening round of the District Championship. Abigail Kaplan and Caroline Worley were the lone seniors this season and were recognized at a match earlier this year.
The Coral Glades swim team had two teams compete in swim, with the boys placing 13th and the girls coming in 17th, highlighted by a fifth and sixth-place finish from Ethan Persten.
In volleyball, Coral Glades recorded their tenth win of the season in the opening round of Districts, defeating Charles W Flanagan High School. 25-12, 25-15, 25-21 win to set up a matchup with top-seeded Cypress Bay High School on Wednesday at 6 p.m.
J.P. Taravella had their boys swim team place eighth, led by Miles Green, who finished second in the 50-yard freestyle and fourth in the 100 freestyle.
The girls team came in sixth while Tawannah McLemore won the 50-yard freestyle, and Giani Francis also placed sixth in the 100-butterfly
The girls volleyball team got off to their best start in over a decade in volleyball this season and finished the year with a loss against West Broward High School.
Coral Springs High School
The Colts finished the session with five wins against Hallandale, Piper, Nova, J.P. Taravella, and Deerfield Beach. They will be having ten players from their team graduate this year.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student. He also works for the Mohave Valley Daily News in Bullhead City, Arizona covering high school sports.
- NewsDecember 4, 20232 Local Rivals Clash; Basketball, Soccer and Wrestling Season Underway
- NewsDecember 1, 2023Coral Glades Basketball and Soccer Teams Face Mixed Fortunes in Recent Matchups
- NewsNovember 26, 2023High School Basketball in Coral Springs Tips-Off on Black Friday
- NewsNovember 25, 2023Carter Brooks of Coral Glades Named PGA South Florida Player of the Year