By: Matt Rothman
“I am extremely proud of Riley,” said Head Coach Sheri Wells-Smith. “She ended her high school swim career by conquering her goals and has made states since eighth grade. She is so powerful in the water and graceful at the same time.”
McCormick made it to States after qualifying on both the 50-yard freestyle and 100-yard fly and finished 11th in both of them. She recorded a time of 24:38 in the 50-yard freestyle and then had a time of 57:54 in the 100-yard fly. Both those times were lower than what she did in both Districts and Regionals.
“For my last swim at states, I was very happy with how I performed,” said McCormick. “I moved up eight places going into finals for my 50-free and was not expecting that at all. With all my support there for me at finals, I was more than happy with how I did.”
McCormick is also set to attend swim at the University of North Florida.
“It feels amazing to be committed because I have been working really hard to be able to swim in college, McCormick added. “It has been a goal of mine to commit to such a high level of college athletics, and when I got a spot on the team, I couldn’t believe that my hard work actually paid off and that I accomplished my goal. It feels like a dream come true.
While looking at different schools to attend, McCormick loved the various academic and career opportunities that the school offered me. She also wanted to make sure to find a place where she could fit in with year teammates and find a coach for the next four years who was attentive and cared about his swimmers. After her only recruiting trip, she made her decision.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- NewsSeptember 30, 2023Rivalry Night: Coral Springs Charter Football Faces Off Against J.P. Taravella
- NewsSeptember 30, 2023Marjory Stoneman Douglas Football Dominates Pig Bowl: Coral Springs Principal Kisses the Pig
- NewsSeptember 28, 20234 Middle School Cross Country Teams Compete in Race
- NewsSeptember 27, 2023Casullo Remains Confident in Young Coral Glades Football Team