By: Matt Rothman
J.P Taravella basketball had a tremendous season, but it came to an end in the regional semifinals following their loss to Forest Hill Community High School on Tuesday night.
While the Trojans were able to score their third-most points all season with 79, they had trouble defending the number four team in the state in Forest Hill and lost by 20. They allowed a season-high 99 points.
Offensively for Taravella, Jean Francois had a team-high 18 points. Also, Stephen Mills, Kerby Dumay, and Reilly Berg all reached double figures with 16,15 and 11, respectively.
The Trojans struggled to score early in the game, forcing themselves into a significant deficit. They trailed by as many as 32 points in the game and, but outscored Forest Hill 51-45 in the second half to make a game out of it.
While the season did not end the way they would have liked it too, it was still a successful season for the Trojans.
JPT had won their last eight games coming into the Tuesday night, including their wins over both Marjory Stoneman Douglas and Deerfield Beach High School in Districts.
They then went on and beat Wellington High School 64-62 on a couple of late free throws in their longest playoff run in school history.
The Trojans finished the season at 17-6 but had two of those losses coming by forfeit. With a veteran team, JPT will turn to some younger players next season along with the upcoming seniors as they hope to build off their best season in school history.
Forest Hill will now play Park Vista in the Regional Championship for a spot to make states on Friday at 7 p.m.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. Originally from Long Island, he moved to Parkland shortly after high school. Along with Parkland Talk, Matt is the lone contributing writer for the New York Islanders with The Hockey Writers. He worked as the Assistant Sports Editor for his school paper, Eagle News.
- News2020.11.21Coral Springs High School Football Team Finish Regular Season with 53-0 Win
- News2020.11.21Coral Glades High School Football Wins Final Regular Season Game
- News2020.11.153 Marjory Stoneman Douglas Baseball Players Sign with College Teams
- News2020.11.14Coral Springs Charter Football Stuns Cypress Bay For First Win