By: Matt Rothman
The J.P. Taravella Boys soccer team is wrapping up a terrific regular season where the Trojans have surpassed last year’s win total of five.
JPT, currently 8-4-2, has been led by senior Michael Lucien, who has had eight goals and three assists. Roman Prieto is second on the team and leads the team with 12 assists through 14 games.
On defense, Senior Ben Sloane has been spectacular, limiting the opposition’s attack and has played every minute this season and even contributed two goals in their last game on Thursday.
The Trojans have dropped two straight, but have played two teams that have combined for 24 wins already this season. They play in a competitive division with teams such as Cypress Bay and Western High School. While they lost to Cypress Bay, they were able to draw with Western.
While the schedule has also picked up with stronger opponents, JPT started the season out 6-1 with notable wins over Marjory Stoneman Douglas, Boyd Anderson, and McArthur High School. In those six wins, they outscored their opposition 22-3.
“We had a good season this year, and we look forward top challenging for the District title,” said Head Coach Todd Schoonover.
JPT will be facing Gulf Coast High School in districts Wednesday, January 29, at 5 p.m in Coral Springs. The winner will advance to the finals the next day on January 30 with hopes to secure a spot in Regionals.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. Originally from Long Island, he moved to Parkland shortly after high school. Along with Parkland Talk, Matt is the lone contributing writer for the New York Islanders with The Hockey Writers. He worked as the Assistant Sports Editor for his school paper, Eagle News.
- News2020.11.233 Taravella Baseball Players Sign with Colleges
- News2020.11.21Coral Springs High School Football Team Finish Regular Season with 53-0 Win
- News2020.11.21Coral Glades High School Football Wins Final Regular Season Game
- News2020.11.153 Marjory Stoneman Douglas Baseball Players Sign with College Teams