By: Sharon Aron Baron
The City of Coral Springs is playing host to the 26th Annual Kreul Classic where elite basketball teams from all over the country are competing this month.
For 26 years, the Kreul has given away scholarships, and one of their traditions is “a commitment to youth.” This year, they joined the Coral Springs Police Department and Walmart to provide bicycles, helmets, locks and school supplies to deserving children. Thanks to Walmart Regional Director Marvin Balduff, twelve children now have new bicycles for the holidays.
One of the premier high school basketball tournaments in the country, the Kreul Classic features top-caliber boys’ teams from across the nation. Held annually the week before Christmas, the volunteer-administered event is considered a model of excellence by which other events gauge their performance.
Since 1989, the Kreul has positively affected the lives of more than 17,000 student-athletes representing 26 states, Canada, and the Bahamas. The Kreul has hosted numerous high-profile sports celebrities including the late Chuck Daly, Billy Donovan, Mike Jarvis, Tim Hardaway, John Salley, Lou Carnesecca, Tubby Smith, and more. The organization’s work continues off the court through a variety of philanthropic efforts, most notably their scholarship program which has proudly awarded 70 four-year academic tuition scholarships to Florida Atlantic University and more than 100 monetary awards in varying amounts.
- Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- News2022.01.17Celebrating 10 Years: Winner’s Name Drawn for $150 Gift Card Giveaway
- News2022.01.17Free Food Distribution Held on Jan. 19 at Chabad of Coral Springs
- Events2022.01.16Winner Chosen for 4 Free Tickets to ‘World’s Largest Bounce House’
- Crime & Safety2022.01.14Coral Springs-Parkland Firefighter Who Battled Cancer Laid to Rest