By: Matt Rothman
The Marjory Stoneman Douglas girls golf team advanced to States for the second time under head coach Devin Schaller.
Out of 20 teams playing in regionals at Eagle Trace Golf Club in Coral Springs, the Eagles were one of three that made it to states. Spanish River High School finished in first place with Doral Academy, finishing one shot better than MSD for second place.
The low score of the day came from Coral Glades Kayla Holden, who shot a 69.
While it was a bit of a struggle throughout the day with the greens playing extremely fast, Schaller is still proud of the way his team battled through.
“We kept up with the competition and didn’t let the missed opportunities hurt us,” said Schaller. “We have some adjustments to make, but I am confident we can come back strong and perform well next week. It was the first time a lot of these players have gone through this, so I’m glad we were able to finish at the top.”
As a team, the Eagles shot a 340 with Makayla Chau leading with a 76. Amelia Novoa finished two shots in back of Chau with a 78, and Cynthia Liu shot a respectable 81. After solid performances from both Olivia Alvarez and Madison Lenard, with 87 in districts, they both struggled a little more in regionals shooting well over par but still helping MSD move on.
The Eagles will have a bit of a break before they head to States taking place in Howey In The Hills, at the Mission Inn Resort & Club on Oct. 29 and 30.
The team will travel the day before to get a practice round in, so they can familiarize themselves.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. He is now attending the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2022.01.22J.P. Taravella Boys Soccer Hosts Senior Night on Thursday
- News2022.01.22Seniors Lead J.P. Taravella Girls Soccer into the Playoffs
- News2022.01.21Marjory Stoneman Douglas Star Offensive Lineman Aris Skarecki Makes College Pick
- News2022.01.20Jeremiah Denis Goes 8-0 for Coral Springs High School Wrestling