By: Matt Rothman
Playing in the quarter-finals of the district championship, the Marjory Stoneman Douglas Volleyball team earned a routine three-set win over arch-rival Coral Springs High School for the second time this season. The Eagles dropped just seven points in each of the first two sets before winning 25-11 in the final set in less than an hour.
“I really wanted to focus on the morale of the team,” said Head Coach Daniella Rapaglia. “I wanted them to have a lot of energy coming into districts. It was important that they flowed together and played cohesively. I think they did really well with that today”
One thing they were also strong in was their serving. Alexandra Aponte had four aces as well as four digs. Samantha Blahut also had four digs and led the team with 13 kills giving her 156 on the season. Jordan Robertson added nine kills with no errors. She also had one solo block and two block assists, as the freshman has really stepped up this season.
Up next, the Parkland school will have little time to rest as they get ready to face Spanish River in the semi-finals on Wednesday at 6 p.m. at Boca Raton High School. The winner of this game will advance to the finals on Thursday at 7 p.m. at the same location and will earn themselves a regional game. Spanish River has a record of 12-9 on the season and has not faced MSD this season. The only common opponent the two teams have is West Broward with both teams losing to the Bobcats.
For Coral Springs, the season ends with a tough loss, but not much was expected this season. They had lots of players graduate last year but still managed to win six games. With a lot of younger players, they definitely have a bright future.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. He is now attending the University of Florida as a graduate student. Matt also covers the New York Islanders for The Hockey Writer, the New York Mets for Last Word on Baseball and Florida Gators Athletics for ESPN Gainesville.
- News2021.04.172 Freshmen on Coral Springs Charter Baseball Team Throw Combined No-Hitter
- News2021.04.16Andre Barnes 10th Coral Glades Athlete to Commit to College this Year
- News2021.04.16Alex Bruno Makes History for Coral Springs Charter Track and Field
- News2021.04.165 Coral Springs Charter Athletes Officially Sign to Play in College