By: Jen Russon
As faculty, staff, and students at Coral Glades High School mourn the passing of one of their own, a date to celebrate the life of their beloved custodian Mark Rissky is planned for St. Patrick’s Day.
Rissky was hired when CGHS opened its doors in 2004 and saw a generation of students graduate from the home of the Jaguars.
The custodian’s bright smile, sense of humor, and kindness toward everyone who crossed his path was well-noted after the devastating news broke that the 59-year-old took his own life early Monday morning.
His memorial ceremony is planned on an employee planning day for Broward County Public Schools and is open to both current and former staff and students. Alumni are also invited to attend.
Principal Dr. Mark Kaplan said Rissky’s sister, Bonnie Harrington, and brother-in-law, Patrick Harrington are traveling from Chicago to attend the memorial, as well as a private reception that will take place afterward.
“The reception following the memorial will be for staff and his family only. This will be held in the cafeteria. We will be presenting many gifts and memories to his sister, Bonnie,” said Kaplan.
The principal said student performances and staff tributes are planned as part of a celebration of Mark James Rissky’s impactful life.
Rissky will be laid to rest at Resurrection Cemetery in Willowbrook, Illinois, on March 12; details about visitation and funeral services are available on Adolf Services.
The school memorial for Mark Rissky is on Tuesday, March 17, at 9 a.m. in the gymnasium. Coral Glades High School is located at 2700 Sportsplex Drive.
- Jen Russon has been a staff writer for Talk Media since 2018. She is also a novelist, copywriter and editor at the imprint www.swallowpublishing.com. She lives in Coral Springs with her family.
- Crime & Safety2021.04.181 Dead in Bicycle-Versus-Car Crash in Coral Springs
- Crime & Safety2021.04.18Coral Springs Police Lighten Carbon Footprint with Acquisition of New Hybrid SUVs
- Events2021.04.16Coral Springs Museum of Art Shows Off Fresh New Look at City Hosted Press Day
- News2021.04.14Supt Runcie Announces the End of Remote Learning Option in 2021-2022