By Jill Fox
North Springs hit a homerun with their All-Star Baseball Team and are now heading to the Tournament of State Champions in North Carolina.
The 11 and under team, coached by Dean Dadic and Kenny Lassen, first captured the district title after beating Fort Lauderdale and Deerfield Beach. After winning sectionals against Liberty City, they traveled to North Port, where the team was crowned as the State Champions.
Following last weekend’s win, they will represent Florida at the end of July in a State Tournament of Champions in Greenville, North Carolina. The North Springs Little League, comprised of 10 and 11-year-old boys, who attend Eagle Ridge, Country Hills, Imagine Charter and Park Springs Elementary Schools, will be one of eight all-star teams representing the southeast.
According to team manager, Brian Applebaum, the three to six-day event in North Carolina is the farthest any little league in the country can go in this age group. As the first all-star experience for Applebaum, who has been coaching in North Springs for the past four years, he is responsible for choosing the coaches and the team. He said the boys have been together almost every day and have put in a tremendous amount of work and effort.
“We’re very proud of this accomplishment that not many kids get the opportunity to experience.”
In preparation for the trip, the team will be having a fundraiser on Saturday at Publix to collect donations and is hoping for the support of Coral Springs residents and business with the tremendous cost incurred by these families.
“They’re not only sacrificing time and loss of work, but there are the costs of hotels and transportation, so we’re just looking for any support the community can offer this group of 13 families,” said Applebaum.
The team will be at Publix at Brookside Square on Saturday, July 20, from 11 a.m.. to 5 p.m. located at 10701 Wiles Road.
- Jill Fox is an Emmy Award-winning writer and producer. She has worked on the public relations side as well as the television side of marketing for NBC Universal. A true Floridian, Fox grew up in Ormond Beach and earned her Bachelor’s Degree in Economics and Advertising from the University of Miami. During college, Fox enjoyed working at Walt Disney World. She loves living in Parkland with her husband, Brian and their two children, Madden, 10 and Randi, 7.
- News2021.01.15State Rep Christine Hunschofsky Launches High School Internship Program
- News2021.01.14Save Money at Coral Springs Restaurants and More with the North Broward Discount Card
- News2020.12.11North Springs Improvement District In Talks To Purchase Heron Bay Golf & Country Club
- News2020.11.26MSD Eagle Regiment Sells Poinsettias To Raise Money for London Trip