By: Sharon Aron Baron
Calling all actors, singers, and those who enjoy working in theatre. Auditions are being held for the theatrical production of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and the Civil Rights Movement “I Have a Dream.”
Auditions will be held at the Coral Springs Center for the Arts by TheatreSouth on Thursday, October 13 and Friday, October 14 from 5:00 p.m. – 8 p.m. for a production that will be commemorate the events that shaped the legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and America’s modern Civil Rights Movement. and will be part of the City of Coral Springs 27th Annual Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Celebration in January.
TheatreSouth is looking for actors, singers, dancers, musicians, technicians, stage managers, and more. Please prepare a short monologue, a capella song, dance routine or any other artistic piece that will showcase your talent. Please provide your own music. Bring a resume, bio and headshot. No previous theatre experience is required, but they require focused individuals who take direction well and can commit to a rehearsal schedule.
“I Have A Dream” debuted on Broadway at the Ambassador Theatre in New York City in 1976 with Billy Dee Williams starring as Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. The Broadway production then toured 126 cities worldwide between 1985 and 2003, under the direction of Broadway Producer Dr. Woodie King, Jr. and Associate Producer Herman LeVern Jones.
Displaying the full range of emotions with dramatic innovations, this musical drama plays out against a backdrop of 125 historical images: Rosa Parks refuses to yield her bus seat; Sheri Bull Connor’s police dogs and hoses wreak havoc on crowds of peaceful protestors and children; Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr’s infamous arrest in Birmingham; his stirring signature speeches; personal moments with Coretta and his children; and the Memphis Lorraine Motel balcony scene.
Today, more than fifty years after the infamous Selma March, this production energizes public perceptions of Bloody Sunday, follows Black History Month and spotlights society’s present struggle for equality, harmony and human dignity.
For more information, contact TheatreSouth 1.305.924.3003 www.theatresouthatlanta.org
- Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- Events2021.07.21TICKET ALERT: ‘Menopause The Musical’ Heads to the Coral Springs Center For The Arts
- Events2021.07.19TICKET ALERT: Coral Springs International Dinner Dance Celebrates the USA
- Events2021.07.13Ticket Alert: The Ultimate QUEEN Celebration Heads to the Coral Springs Center for the Arts
- Events2021.07.12Coral Springs Festival of the Arts Accepting Artist Submissions for 2022 Event