By: Jen Russon
In a special video created to assure students at Coral Glades High School, that teachers and staff have their back, Dr. Mark Kaplan, principal at the high school, told students how much they were missed.
Relatively new to the school, Kaplan, who became principal of CGHS last year, appears at the end of a cheerful video, sad over his school’s closure, yet committed to doing what’s right during the COVID-19 pandemic.
“We’d love to be back in the jungle with you,” he lamented from his home in Coral Springs, adding that it is critically vital everyone in the Jaguar family follows shelter in place orders so they can return to school healthy.
The video was Kaplan’s idea and was edited by the high school’s TV production teacher Dan Alonso. Assistant principal Michele Stein also helped get the message out that teachers and staff desperately miss the kids.
Like quite a few schools in Coral Springs and Parkland, CGHS is yet another institution of learning that produced a video showing that learning from home can still be fun.
“Of course, we really feel bad for our seniors who have had one of the most special times of their lives taken from them because of this. We just wanted to remind them all how much we care and are with them- even if it’s only online,” said Kaplan.
The principal added a promise that is shared by all his colleagues, and evident in a video where they flash optimistic signs to a song by the same name: ‘You Can Count On Us’.
- Jen Russon is a freelance writer and English Language Arts teacher. She has published two novels to Amazon Kindle and lives in Coral Springs with her family.
- News2020.11.23Temple Beth Orr Plans First-Ever Chanukah Drive-Thru Extravaganza
- News2020.11.192 Coral Springs Charter School Students Selected for Florida All-State Honor Band
- News2020.11.17J.P. Taravella Graduate Represents Coral Springs in Miss Florida Teen USA Competition
- News2020.11.14Coral Springs Eagle Scout Dedicates WWII Sentry Dog Statue that Belonged to Late Grandfather