By: Bryan Boggiano
Coral Springs may put stricter regulations on vacation rentals in the city.
The city commission will discuss Wednesday amending the current land development code to include a section on vacation rentals. Currently, the city does not have any ordinances to address these properties.
Vacation rentals are single or multi-family residential properties rented out at least three times a year for a period of fewer than 30 days or one month to vacationers.
South Florida’s expansive tourism industry attracts vacationers to hotels, but recently, more people opted for pursuing alternative options through providers such as Airbnb or Vrbo.
While the properties offer more options for lodging to tourists, they also present dilemmas related to noise, litter, trash, and parking. The commission will discuss whether to adopt a new ordinance to preserve the quality of neighborhoods and protect residents.
State law allows cities to inspect properties for building code and fire prevention compliance. Cities in Broward County with regulations include Pompano Beach, Hollywood, Ft. Lauderdale, and Hollywood.
The ordinance would establish specific registration guidelines for vacation rentals. Some of these include a certificate of compliance through the city, an application, a valid rental license, proof of advertisement with permitted timeframes, and annual registration before Sept. 30.
Vacation rentals would have to follow various standards. These include bedroom and dwelling occupancy limits, life and safety requirements, trash and waste pickup procedures, having a responsible party to enforce city codes, not using other properties that are not part of the vacation rental, and requiring all cars to be in that resident’s driveway.
Send Your News to Coral Springs #1 Award-Winning News Site Here.
- A University of Florida journalism graduate, Bryan plans to pursue geosciences at Florida International University for his master’s. He has a strong interest in weather, entertainment, and journalism.
- News2021.06.21Photos: Coral Springs Holds 2nd Juneteenth Celebration
- Events2021.06.19Coral Springs Hosts Juneteenth Celebration at the Sportsplex
- News2021.06.17Coming Soon: Live-Streamed Swimming Competitions At Aquatic Complex
- Eat2021.06.17Popeyes Could Be Coming to Coral Springs: First in Northwest Broward County