By: Jen Russon
In a first-time coordinated effort with the nonprofit group Feeding South Florida, there was no shortage of city officials who turned out to help distribute food to 700 residents in need.
Commissioner Joshua Simmons, who headed up the partnership with Feeding South Florida, said the food distribution went smoothly, and he looks forward to doing it again next Tuesday once again at Coral Square Mall.
“Staff did a great job of organizing it. It was safe, efficient, and orderly. There wasn’t any additional traffic on the main roads. People were safe, and everyone had masks and gloves. I will never forget how grateful people were,” said Simmons.
He shared that when residents of his community received their food, many mouthed the words ‘thank you,’ and their gratitude showed in their eyes.
He described how Coral Springs city manager Frank Babinec saw a car overheat as the driver waited in line to collect food, and that he [Babinec] arranged to have it towed back to the owner’s residence at no charge.
Others who showed up to volunteer at the food distribution were Mayor Scott Brook, Vice Mayor Joy Carter, Commissioner Shawn Cerra, Fire Chief Mike McNally, and Police Chief Clyde Perry.
Simmons said cars began arriving as early as 5 a.m., and that volunteers began handing out vouchers around 8 a.m. They did so until all 700 vouchers were distributed by around 9:30 a.m. that morning — and they didn’t run out of food.
The millions of pounds of food distributed by Feeding South Florida volunteers are made possible by the generosity of monetary donations, where each dollar donated yields up to seven meals.
“I’m proud to live in and represent a city that wants to make sure they constantly serve the residents in any way needed,” said Simmons.
Keep sending your tips to Coral Springs Talk
- Jen Russon has been a staff writer for Talk Media since 2018. She is also a novelist, copywriter and editor at Swallow Publishing, LLC.
- News2021.05.14Homeowner Against Improvements to Kiwanis Park Takes Concerns to City
- Events2021.05.10Memorial Service in Dog Park Planned for ‘Dr Mike’ of South Gate Veterinary Clinic
- News2021.05.07‘We’re Not Out of the Woods Yet’ Warns Vaccinated Coral Springs Man Who Contracted COVID from Wife
- Events2021.05.06Lights, Camera, Action! Register For a Summer Spot in Next Stop Broadway