By Sharon Aron Baron
The Silver Award is the second-highest award of Girl Scouts of the USA and the highest award that Girl Scout Cadettes can earn.
The Girl Scouts of Southeast Florida held their Silver Award Showcase honoring the 2020 class of Silver Award Girl Scouts. Among the 82 who earned their Silver Award, three are Coral Springs residents who worked to complete two different projects benefiting their communities.
Rayne Welser from Troop 10269 completed a Silver Award project called “Code Red Comfort Bags.” The red backpacks were filled with items to occupy, comfort, and ease students’ anxiety at Eagle Ridge Elementary School during a lockdown because of a dangerous situation.
Laura Gonzalez and Mya Perciak, both from Troop 10127, completed a project called “Boxed and Ready,” where they worked with Sawgrass Nature Center to create educational boxes.
When Girl Scouts decide to work towards their Silver Award, they set out for meaningful change by identifying an issue, collaborating with others who care about it, building a team to help, and improving on that issue measurably.
The Silver Award Showcase, sponsored in part by the Gina Rose Montalto Memorial Foundation, allowed Girl Scouts to present their projects at a showcase-style event sharing with attendees what they learned and the impact their project made on their local community.
Girl Scouts may pursue the Silver Award as an individual or in small groups of up to five girls; every girl dedicates a minimum of 50 hours to bring the project to life.
Send Your News to Coral Springs #1 Award-Winning News Site Here.
- Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- Events2021.10.22Tickets Still Available for Comedian Whitney Cummings Nov. 12
- Events2021.10.21Tickets Still Available for ‘The Price is Right Live’ in Coral Springs Oct. 29
- News2021.10.19Volunteers Needed to Assist Free Food Distribution at Chabad of Coral Springs
- News2021.10.14Coral Springs ‘Taps’ into Bavarian Culture with Amazing Oktoberfest Celebration