By: Sharon Aron Baron
Children at one local Coral Springs elementary school will not only learn important bike safety lessons this week, they will take home a brand new helmet that they will help decorate.
The Adopt-a-Bike Foundation will be educating students at Parkside Elementary School from Randy Bitton’s K/1 and Sheree Schulson’s 2/3 multiage class about bicycle safety. Volunteers including Randy Bitton’s daughter Brooke Bitton, has involved Kohl’s Department Store, and is helping out with the event.
“I’m giving out bicycles helmets and teaching the children about bike safety,” said Celia Conti, Event Coordinator for Adopt-a-Bike. “This is in conjunction with Kohl’s, who we are trying to get onboard so we can receive a possible grant for our program.”
The Adopt-a-Bike Foundation was born in 2002 from the 300-plus members of the South Broward Wheelers who wanted to give back to their community. Over the years, they have given over 2,000 bikes to children who would not have the opportunity to own one.
Last weekend the foundation gave out 200 bicycles to children from Driftwood Elementary in Hollywood and A Place Called Hope Church located in Cooper City.
Getting 200 bicycles out the door was no easy task. Last Saturday, lines of people, cars, as well as onlookers were at the Target store creating a commotion.
“It was a big undertaking, but it came off very well, and we were very happy to do it.” Said Conti.
Throughout the year, the foundation supports Women in Distress, ChildNet, and has a special needs division where they help a children that may need a custom built bike which could cost from $1,000 to $3,000.
“We’ll work their physical therapist or doctor to make sure its built correctly. We do this throughout the year.”
To learn more about Adopt-a-Bike, go to their website or contact Celia Conti at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- Events2021.05.11Next Free Food Distribution Dates In Coral Springs, Tamarac, and Pompano Beach
- News2021.05.106 Named City of Coral Springs Business Excellence Award Winners
- News2021.05.10Submit your Best Shot and Win $100 in Coral Springs Talk Cover Photo Contest
- Crime & Safety2021.05.09Coral Springs Couple Search for Good Samaritan Who Returned Wallet left on Top of Vehicle