By: Jen Russon
The principal at a new charter school in Coral Springs is doing his part to ensure continued learning during school closures, which have affected the entire state of Florida as it battles the spread of COVID-19.
Principal Gustavo Prats — who insists everyone call him “Gus,” began working at Summit Academy Charter School when it opened a location in Coral Springs in this school year.
Parents have been commending Prats for his creativity and great attitude during a time when the exact date of students’ return to the school is unknown.
Clad in a surgical mask, gloves, and cheerful Lion King I.D. lanyard, Principal Prats spent three hours on Friday handing out the books and laptops, critical to finishing out a school year, when much of the world go into lock-down mode.
“People in my profession are here for the kids. As long as we can keep them calm and engaged in continued learning, I think we can work our way through this,” said Prats.
Danielle Farina, parent and Coral Springs resident, is someone who agrees with her children’s upbeat principal.
“Principal Gustavo has been delivering school books to parents in an organized car-line. He is there in a mask and gloves delivering them himself while his staff is home preparing for our online curriculum,” said Farina.
The mother of three added Summit would use Scholastic’s Learn at Home website during their hiatus, and that her kids’ classrooms would be visible via Zoom, and Google classroom.
She said the amazing Principal Gustavo would be including music, art, and P.E. using Zoom, so kids don’t miss out on their specials.
Farina is also encouraging parents whose children attend Summit Academy to come out while supplies last to meet Gus and take advantage of the middle school books and laptops he has been distributing all week.
“He has gone above and beyond to make sure all the kids have what they need, so they can continue with their curriculum and complete their school year,” she said.
- Jen Russon has been a staff writer for Talk Media since 2018. She is also a novelist, copywriter and editor at the imprint www.swallowpublishing.com. She lives in Coral Springs with her family.
- Crime & Safety2021.04.181 Dead in Bicycle-Versus-Car Crash in Coral Springs
- Crime & Safety2021.04.18Coral Springs Police Lighten Carbon Footprint with Acquisition of New Hybrid SUVs
- Events2021.04.16Coral Springs Museum of Art Shows Off Fresh New Look at City Hosted Press Day
- News2021.04.14Supt Runcie Announces the End of Remote Learning Option in 2021-2022