Video courtesy Coral Glades Athletics.
By: Matt Rothman
The Coral Glades and J.P. Taravella football matchup are always one of the season’s most exciting games.
It took on an even different meaning with the two teams participating in the Jason Stein Bowl, honoring former Trojans Athletic Director, who passed away from COVID-19 in 2020.
Stein’s wife, Michele, an assistant principal at Coral Glades High School, and their two daughters, Hailey, a student at the school, and Ilana, a senior at Florida State Univerity, all watched on as Coral Glades defeated JPT 38-6 for the second straight season.
“It is a point for us to keep the trophy in Coral Glades for Mrs. Stein,” Coach Thomas said. “For a second straight year, we claimed the city.”
Early on, the Jaguars relied heavily on the run. Kyle Nelson rushed for the first touchdown, and then Jojo Rispoli scored from 12 yards out to make it 13-0.
In the first half, Coral Glades added three more touchdowns, with Nelson scoring his second to make it 19-0. Aiden Harris then ran one in before Dylan Knaebel threw a touchdown pass to Joell Holmes to make it 32-0 at halftime.
Kyle Williamson added one more score before JPT got on the board with a late touchdown in the fourth quarter.
“The offensive line did an incredible job,” Coach Thomas added. “It was raining and we had to change the game plan, and it worked.”
With the win, the Jaguars improved their record to 2-1 facing Charles W. Flanagan High School on Friday, October 8 at 7 p.m.
For JPT, they fall to 0-5 and have lost ten of their last 11 games dating back to 2019. They will hope to end that streak when they host West Broward High School on Thursday, October 7.
Send Your News to Coral Springs #1 Award-Winning News Site Here.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. He is now attending the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2022.05.1812 Coral Glades Student-Athletes Officially Sign to Play in College
- News2022.05.18Stephanie Basso’s 3 Home Run Game Leads CSC Softball to Regional Final
- News2022.05.17Kate Maston’s Transition from Baseball to Softball Pays off for Coral Springs Charter
- News2022.05.167 Coral Springs Athletes Reach Podium in Track and Field State Championship