Coral Glades High School senior Ronald Laracuente has been named a semifinalist academic scholar for the highly prestigious 2013 U.S. Presidential Scholars Program.
Ronald is among the over 3,000 candidates who were selected in January for their exceptional performance on either the College Board SAT or the ACT Assessment. Consideration was also given to students’ essays, self-assessments, description of activities, school recommendations and school transcripts. A distinguished panel of educators reviewed candidate submissions to select the 500 semifinalists announced in April.
The White House Commission on Presidential Scholars, a group of up to 32 eminent citizens appointed by the President, will review the applications of all semifinalists to select up to 121 Academic Scholars and up to 20 Arts Scholars. Scholars are selected on the basis of superior academic and artistic achievements, leadership qualities, strong character and involvement in the community and school activities. The U.S. Department of Education will announce the Scholars in May.
All scholars will be honored for their accomplishments during the National Recognition Weekend, held in June in Washington, D.C. During this trip, U.S. Presidential Scholars are guests of the Commission and enjoy an expense-paid trip to Washington, D.C., to meet with government officials, educators, authors, musicians, scientists and other accomplished people. Scholars have the opportunity to visit museums and monuments and to attend recitals, receptions and ceremonies. To commemorate their achievement, the Scholars are awarded the Presidential Scholars Medallion at a ceremony sponsored by the White House.
- Sharon Aron Baron is the Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- Events2019.08.19Young Chef’s Academy Holds ‘Open House’ in Coral Springs
- Crime & Safety2019.08.19Crash on Sawgrass Expressway Leaves One Victim Dead
- Eat2019.08.19There’s Only a Short Wait Until Five Guys Opening Date
- Crime & Safety2019.08.16Man Arrested in 1983 Coral Springs Sexual Battery Case Thanks to DNA Evidence