By: Matt Rothman
AJ Prendergast only pitched three innings but threw a perfect game in Coral Springs Charter 25-0 (4) win over Piper High School Thursday night.
While Prendergast only needed to get nine outs, he struck out seven and did not allow a base runner as the Panthers offense exploded. The team scored a season-high 25 runs and managed 20 hits in the huge win to remain perfect this year.
“Our guys came out ready to play today like they have all season,” said Head Coach Charlie Fine. “It was CSC’s first-ever perfect game I think and mine as well. AJ came out prepared and through a ton of strikes like he usually does.”
Leading the way offensively was Justin Chung, who drove who had a four-hit game and drove in a team-high five runs with two extra-base hits. Leo Beltran added four RBI’s, and Chris Kahler drove in three. The Panthers also had four players contribute two RBI’s in Brayden Virgins, Nathan Maestre, Ryan Vargas, and John Cofresi.
This happens to be the second straight season that the Panthers have started 4-0 as they did the same last year. In their fifth game last year, they won a thrilling 3-2 win over North Broward Prep and will once again face them this season in their fifth contest on Friday, February 28, at 6:30 p.m.
North Broward Prep is currently 2-2 on the season and split their two matchups with Coral Springs Charter last year. Following that game, the Panthers will travel to Coral Glades High School on Tuesday, March 3, at 6:30 p.m. and hope to match their start last year when they started 9-0.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. He is now attending the University of Florida as a graduate student. Matt also covers the New York Islanders for The Hockey Writer, the New York Mets for Last Word on Baseball and Florida Gators Athletics for ESPN Gainesville.
- News2021.02.27Marjory Stoneman Douglas Softball Wins 1st Game With Strong Offense
- News2021.02.27Marjory Stoneman Douglas Girls Soccer Incredible Run Ends at States
- News2021.02.27Marjory Stoneman Douglas Boy’s Lacrosse Off to Outstanding 3-1 Start
- News2021.02.27Coral Springs High School Boys Basketball Complete Remarkable Season