By: Matt Rothman
Coral Springs Charter bowling is once again having a fantastic season led by varsity baseball coach Charlie Fine and Andy Groothius.
Coach Groothius is proud of the kids and their commitment in a very challenging year.
“This season presented its challenges with the sudden changes we’ve all been subjected to, but every day we found new ways to make it, in some ways, even more fun than it’s been in past years,” Groothius said.
The Panthers played in seven matches and are coming off Senior Day, where they honored their lone senior, Nathan Whaley.
Whaley started the season off red-hot, with two of his top three scores coming in the first two matches. His best score came on November 10, when he combined for a season-high 410 after bowling a 227 in the second game.
Tyler Harris bowled in 12 games and has a high score of 458 to lead the boys. Derek Lai has the highest score from the boys individually this season as he had a 205 in Game 1 and 220 in Game 2 for a high score of 425. This year, Dalton Mason has the second-highest score for the boys as he reached 423, which was 34 pins higher than any other match this season.
On the women’s side, Katarina Hagler has continued to be one of the county’s best bowlers as she averages 205 per game. She had a match earlier this season when she bowled a 219 and 247, respectively, for a high score of 466.
Alexis Diaz has also bowled well this fall. Her highest score came in her first match with a 184 and has been over 100 in all nine of her appearances.
The team will next be in action on Monday, November 30, when they travel to Davie and play at SpareZ for the County Championship.
“Whatever the playoffs bring, in my eyes, we already won because we overcame obstacles, pulled together, and above all else, had a great time,” Groothius said.
Send Your News to Coral Springs #1 News Site Here.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. He is now attending the University of Florida as a graduate student. Matt also covers the New York Islanders for The Hockey Writer, the New York Mets for Last Word on Baseball and Florida Gators Athletics for ESPN Gainesville.
- News2021.04.16Andre Barnes 10th Coral Glades Athlete to Commit to College this Year
- News2021.04.16Alex Bruno Makes History for Coral Springs Charter Track and Field
- News2021.04.165 Coral Springs Charter Athletes Officially Sign to Play in College
- News2021.04.16Coral Glades Jemina Mills Finishes Top 5 in Three Track and Field Events at Districts