By: Matt Rothman
The Coral Springs Charter football team has taken great strides under head Coach Matt Garris and hopes to continue this upcoming season.
They return a couple of key players and are less than a week from playing in their opening game against Coral Glades High School on Friday, Oct. 30, at 7 pm.
With COVID-19, the Panthers had only had a couple of weeks to prepare for their start of the season, but Garris and his players are happy, and thankful, for a chance to play this season.
“I’m so proud of our players who stayed focused and continued to work hard on their own this off-season, Garris said. “I can’t wait to watch them play and experience the joy this game can provide.”
The Panthers will return two of the most impactful players from last season’s offense in Brett Strauss and Terrell Taylor.
Strauss started as quarterback last year and threw for 828 yards and nine touchdowns. Taylor, a junior, was the starting running back and had 944 yards rushing and over 1,000 all-purpose yards.
Garris hopes for a strong offensive season from wide receivers Mason Phillips and Collin Teschky along with tight end Noah Fernandez.
Defensively, the Panther’s have a strong front seven led by two defensive tackles in Austin Scaperrotta and Anthony Bell and two terrific linebackers in Kasey Schermerhorn and Jose Resendiz.
The task, though, won’t be easy after they play Coral Glades. All three of their final games will be at home, starting with Pompano Beach High School on Nov. 6, followed by games against Hollywood Hills High School and Pembroke Pines Charter on Nov. 12 and 20, respectively.
Send Your News to Coral Springs #1 News Site Here.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. Originally from Long Island, he moved to Parkland shortly after high school. Along with Parkland Talk, Matt is the lone contributing writer for the New York Islanders with The Hockey Writers. He worked as the Assistant Sports Editor for his school paper, Eagle News.
- News2020.11.28Coral Glades Football Advances to Playoffs for the First Time in School History
- News2020.11.27Coral Glades Colton Eisenberg Donates Dollars for Charity with Every Successful Kick
- News2020.11.255 Taravella High School Bowlers Roll a Successful Season
- News2020.11.24Coral Springs Charter Bowling Has Another Terrific Season