By: Matt Rothman
Coral Springs High School’s baseball season is officially underway after going 2-1 in the BCAA Championship this week.
CSHS picked up their first win Monday against Piper High School. Nicholas Pina threw four innings, Saul Betancourt pitched the final three innings, and Alexander Montero, Charles Wilson, and Miles Tavarez drove in runs. Martin Malick also had a pair of hits and scored a run.
“It’s game one of the season, and there’s a ton of adrenaline and emotion that you have to attempt to be remembering the task at hand,” said Head Coach John Brown. “We played well enough to win tonight. Now it’s time to just get back into the routine of things. It’s a long season ahead.”
The Colts then threw their second one-hitter on Wednesday against Nova High School in their 4-1 win. Ruben Zuany threw five no-hit innings and drove on a run before Bethancourt earned the save. Kyle Beck also had an RBI, while Montero had two hits.
CSHS fell 14-1 in their final game against Cooper City High School. Aneja had the only RBI and had one of the team’s four hits, along with Malick, Ruben Zuany, and Emmanuel Alejandro recorded hits.
The Colts are coming off a season where they are 8-13 and will next be in action on Wednesday, March 1, against Fort Lauderdale High School in their home opener. The Flying L’s lost 3-2 in their opening game of the season against Deerfield Beach High School after going 9-15 last year, including a 15-9 loss against the Colts.
Also, Vanessa Alexandre made history becoming the first female wrestler to make the State Championship from Coral Springs High School. Alexandre previously won all three matches in Districts before finishing third in Regionals to automatically qualify. She competed alongside Angelina Brown at Wellington High School on Saturday. Next, Alexandre will compete in States on March 2 in Kissimmee.
Send Your News to Coral Springs #1 Award-Winning News Site Here. Don’t miss reading Parkland Talk, Tamarac Talk, Coconut Creek Talk, and Margate Talk.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2023.03.19Coral Springs High School Girls Lacrosse Win 1st Game Since 2021 on Senior Night
- News2023.03.196 Coral Springs Track and Field Athletes Win BCAA Championships
- News2023.03.18Coral Springs Charter Boys and Girls Tennis Defeat Cardinal Gibbons
- News2023.03.17Coral Springs High School Varsity Baseball Wins 4th Game; JV Team Records 3rd Win