By: Matt Rothman
Coral Springs High School girl’s basketball team picked up a win over Treasure Coast High School with a 63-50 victory on Thursday night in the regional quarterfinals.
The Colts earned their 15th win beating Treasure Coast, who had won 21 of their 25 games this season.
Coral Springs trailed by five points at halftime but went on an incredible 15-2 run in the second half to take a 35-27 lead, which only grew as the game went on.
Head Coach Brent Hankerson is exceptionally proud of the way his team responded in the second half and is thrilled to be able to continue what has been a remarkable season.
“They were just playing a little tight and were forcing it,” Hankerson said. “I told them to be more patient and that it will come. We also needed to lock in a little bit more on defense, and I thought we did.”
Offensively, Adalis Arroyo led the team with 17 points, and Leilani Thuraisingham chipped in 15 points in the win.
The Colts are coming off a District Championship for the first time in 17 years after they beat Monarch in the semifinals and then Deerfield Beach High School for their first win over them.
Treasure Coast lost their District championship game but pushed the Colts for everything they to the team’s six-straight win.
Up next, Coral Springs will be playing Boca Raton High School in the Regional Semifinals on Tuesday, February 18, at 7 p.m. Boca has had an incredible season and has only lost two games in the past three months.
Boca Raton beat Jupiter High School in their game on Thursday and defeated both Santaluces and Park Vista High School to secure their automatic spot in regionals.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. He is now attending the University of Florida as a graduate student. Matt also covers the New York Islanders for The Hockey Writer, the New York Mets for Last Word on Baseball and Florida Gators Athletics for ESPN Gainesville.
- News2021.04.172 Freshmen on Coral Springs Charter Baseball Team Throw Combined No-Hitter
- News2021.04.16Andre Barnes 10th Coral Glades Athlete to Commit to College this Year
- News2021.04.16Alex Bruno Makes History for Coral Springs Charter Track and Field
- News2021.04.165 Coral Springs Charter Athletes Officially Sign to Play in College