More photos of the event here on Flickr!
By: Sharon Aron Baron
The Mayors Chess Challenge which was held for the first time in Coral Springs had a great turnout which included several mayors and an American chess grandmaster.
The event, created by Sunrise Mayor Mike Ryan and Lauderhill Mayor Richard Kaplan last June as a way to highlight the benefits of chess in an academic environment, has now been brought to the City by newly-elected Mayor Skip Campbell, who is a law partner of Ryan’s.
Included at Saturday’s event at Mullin’s Park was Sunrise Mayor Mike Ryan, Cooper City Mayor Greg Ross, Coral Springs City Commissioner Lou Cimaglia, and American chess grandmaster Ron Henley who was awarded the International Master title in 1980, and the Grandmaster title in 1982 and was there to show his support for the game.
Campbell was pleased with the turnout and the number of kids that came out to play chess on a Saturday morning. The event, which wasn’t advertised, drew kids from not only Coral Springs, but from Boynton Beach and Boca Raton to play.
One seven-year-old from Coral Springs even beat Campbell at a game. “The intensity of this kid was unbelievable,” said Campbell. “He was so determined.”
All of the participants received medals at the end of the morning for playing. “The parks and recreation department did a phenomenal job. I spoke with Director Rick Engle about getting it in the City on a weekly basis at the gymnasium,” said Campbell.
Both Campbell and Ryan haven’t yet determined when the next challenge will be, but Campbell wants all the other Broward County mayors to get ready because they will let them know by invitation soon.
“I had a great time, I really did.”
- Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- Events2021.05.11Next Free Food Distribution Dates In Coral Springs, Tamarac, and Pompano Beach
- News2021.05.106 Named City of Coral Springs Business Excellence Award Winners
- News2021.05.10Submit your Best Shot and Win $100 in Coral Springs Talk Cover Photo Contest
- Crime & Safety2021.05.09Coral Springs Couple Search for Good Samaritan Who Returned Wallet left on Top of Vehicle