By: Sharon Aron Baron
Coral Springs is launching a new program geared towards middle and high school students interested in learning more about municipal government.
Students will learn more about the city of Coral Springs, from its rich history, present-day operations and goals for the future in “Commission Connection” a program created for youth interested in government, leadership and community service.
Human Resources Director, Dale Pazdra, whose department created will oversee the program said the city offers numerous programs, committees and boards to connect adult residents to city operations, but recognized that students interested in government or a career in the public sector would greatly benefit from their own.
“If we can expose students to our organization in a positive way, they may become involved in our community through volunteering and pursue a career in public service,” said Pazdra.
Each class will include a 15-minute meet and greet with a member of the city commission, where students will have an opportunity to ask questions. The program concludes with participation in the city commission meeting.
Commission Connection kicks-off its first session on Wednesday, October 16, 2019. Students who apply must have parent or guardian approval and commit to participating in the full two-hour program — including recognition at the city commission meeting.
Limited to six students per month, Commission Connection will take place the third Wednesday of every month from 5:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m. at city hall located on 9500 West Sample Road.
To learn more about the program requirements or to register, visit www.coralsprings.org/connection.
- Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- News2021.01.17Dr. John W. Ruffin Posthumously Named Martin Luther King Jr Monument Award Winner
- News2021.01.16Martin Luther King, Jr. Scholarship Applications Open to 5 High Schools
- News2021.01.15Taddeo and Daley Re-File Legislation to Repeal Unconstitutional Gun Regulation Restriction on Local Governments
- News2021.01.13U.S. Rep Deutch Calls on Pence to Activate 25th Amendment