By: Matt Rothman
Marjory Stoneman Douglas Football team continues their incredible start to their season with a 41-19 win over arch-rival Coral Springs to continue the long winning streak over the Colts in the annual Pig Bowl.
After Friday night’s game in Parkland, this is the fifth straight win over Coral Springs, as MSD moves to 4-0 on the new season with five games remaining.
“It’s great to get a win over our rival,” said Head Coach Quentin Short. “I’m [happy] to send our seniors out 4-0 against Coral Springs. It’s a big win in our first district game.
Quarterback Matthew O’Dowd had perhaps his best game of the season as he threw for 184 yard and four touchdowns. Christian Higgins, who threw for the game-winning touchdown a week ago against Monarch, had four catches four 72 yards and q touchdown.
Ryan Belk also had 72 yards on six passes and scored two touchdowns and running back Brian Smith scored twice on 20 touches for 150 yards. Marc Dorsett contributed four catches as well for a fourth touchdown pass thrown by O’Dowd in the route over the Colts.
MSD will have a bit of a break in the schedule before they face J.P. Taravella Trojans on October 4. They will have two remaining home games against West Broward on October 11, and Plantation on November 1, as the Eagles continue their strong season.
The Trojans are coming off their first win of the season after a dominating 41-0 win over Coral Glades. The Eagles lost to Taravella a season ago after winning 47-20 in 2017.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. Originally from Long Island, he moved to Parkland shortly after high school. Matt worked as the assistant sports editor for his school paper, eaglenews.com in college becoming just one of nine students in his graduating class to serve over 1,000 community service hours. His goal is to travel to every Major League Baseball stadium and has been to multiple US Open finals. He hopes to one day to be a beat writer for a professional team.
- News2019.11.09Marjory Stoneman Douglas’ Historic Season Comes to an End
- News2019.11.06J.P. Taravella Football Reaches Playoffs for First Time in 8 Years
- News2019.11.06Marjory Stoneman Douglas Football Set for Thrilling Playoff November 8
- News2019.11.04Coral Springs Charter Boys and Girls Bowling Advance to States