By: Sharon Aron Baron
A Coral Springs resident whose passion is helping people received the President’s Volunteer Service Award, or PVSA, for donating over 500 hours of his time last year.
Steve Mitchell, donates much of his time on the Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) in Coral Springs/Parkland. CERT members are volunteers within the fire department who educate residents about disaster preparedness and how to respond to emergency situations in their community. He also volunteers as a lieutenant with the Civil Air Patrol Coral Springs Cadet Squadron, where he supervises and mentors the cadets.
“My passion is helping people, whether it be our amazing firefighters or police officers, our extraordinary youth or the general public,” he said.
Mitchell said he is proud of the public education that CERT does at most city events where they primarily teach compression only CPR.
“In five minutes, we can teach this technique which is all the average person needs to know to possibly save the life of someone suffering a cardiac event in an urban area where professional help is not far behind.”
Mitchell is a senior tech project/program manager for AT&T coordinating multiple projects for one of their divisions called Wireless Maritime Services. This division designs, installs and monitors wireless systems on ships, including many cruise lines.
Steve is among 51 South Florida AT&T employees to receive a President’s Volunteer Service Award. In addition to a congratulatory letter from the president of the United States, PVSA awardees also receive a personalized certificate and an official pin, medallion or coin.
Nationwide, AT&T employees volunteered more than 1.78 million hours of time in community outreach activities during 2017.
Mitchell said, “I am proud to represent a company that supports and recognizes its employees in giving back to their communities.”
- Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- News2021.05.05Mullins Hall COVID-19 Test Site to Close in Coral Springs
- Events2021.05.04Tickets Go on Sale for Cirque Musica Holiday Spectacular
- News2021.05.04Volunteers Show Their Appreciation for Teachers at 22 Coral Springs Schools
- Events2021.05.03Coral Springs Honors Heroes in Special Memorial Day Service