By: Sharon Aron Baron
On Wednesday evening, the Mayor and City Commissioners recognized 17 deserving high school seniors who were awarded Martin Luther King, Jr. Scholarships for their freshman year in college.
Thanks to the generous assistance of the Coral Springs Community Chest as the major donor, the Coral Springs Martin Luther King, Jr. Committee was able to match their contribution, as well as supplement the Scholarship fund further by donations from various individuals and businesses in the community. These students were selected on the basis of financial need and quality of community involvement and were interviewed by a panel made up of representatives of the Community Chest and Martin L. King, Jr. Committee.
The recipients of the 2015 MLK Scholarships are: Flaviane Chaves, Danielle Almanzar, Alexander Cohen, Ashley Etienne, Jordene West, Brooke Bivins, Arianna Hernandez, Rachel DeCecco, Jamila Grant, Jezire Maldanado, Lucia Huertas, Janica Parkinson, Chelsey McInnis, Melissa Bazurto, Marcus McGruder, Shiselle Povedano, and Jamie Ramos.
High School seniors who are residents of Coral Springs and attend Coral Glades High, Coral Springs Charter School, Coral Springs High, Stoneman Douglas High and J.P. Taravella High are eligible to apply for this scholarship for the 2015/16 school year. Applications can be obtained in the Fall from the Brace Advisors at each school or from the City’s website at CoralSprings.org/mlk.
For further information or to donate towards this worthy cause, call Joyce Campos at 954-344-1005.
- Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- Events2021.04.16President, Governor, Directs Flags at Half-Staff in Honor of Indianapolis Victims on April 20
- News2021.04.14Coral Springs Man Catches Unbelievable Video of Meteor
- News2021.04.14J&J Appointment Canceled? Broward Health has a solution
- News2021.04.13City of Coral Springs Live-Streams 33rd Annual National Day of Prayer