By: Sharon Aron Baron
Dan Daley has become the new state representative for northwest Broward County after no other challengers came forward by Thursday’s deadline.
“I’m honored,” said Daley. “We worked very hard out of the gate to run a campaign focused on this community and I’m proud to have been given the opportunity to represent it.”
Currently a Coral Springs city commissioner, he had just been reelected when the opportunity to run for a seat he had his eye on ever since he was a legislative aide for former State Rep Ari Porth became available. When the sitting State Rep. Jared Moskowitz was tapped by the Governor DeSantis to become the next director of the Florida Division of Emergency Management, this left the District 97 seat open, and Daley only had a week’s worth of time to decide – jumping from one campaign to another.
With a treasure trove of endorsements including Congressman Ted Deutch, former State Rep. Jared Moskowitz, State Senators Lauren Book and Gary Farmer, Sunrise Mayor Michael Ryan and Tamarac Mayor Michelle Gomez, Daley had a jump-start in big-name supporters along with over $135,000 in donations which may have discouraged any challengers.
Daley grew up in Coral Springs, is a graduate of Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland who went on to become the first college graduate in his family after attending Florida State University. After being elected to the Coral Springs city commission in 2012, Daley began attending law school at Nova Southeastern University, graduated and passed the bar. He now works as corporate counsel for 13th Floor Homes.
His district will cover Coral Springs, Sunrise and a portion of Plantation and Tamarac.
Because there is no April primary or June 18 general election, Daley can start right away, however, this would require him to resign from the Coral Springs city commission. A qualifying period has already been set for the for March. As of this time, until he is officially sworn in, Daley is the representative-elect.
Out of respect for the one-year commemoration of the Marjory Stoneman Douglas victims, Daley will make no formal announcement on Thursday.
- Sharon Aron Baron is the Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- News2020.09.17VIDEO: Coral Springs Police Respond to Alleged Rough Arrest Video
- News2020.09.14City of Coral Springs Hosts Plasma and Blood Drive
- News2020.09.14Service Hours Offered for Students at Chabad of Coral Springs Free Food Distribution
- News2020.09.13Battery, Burglary, and Baker Acts, Reported by Coral Springs Police