By: Matt Rothman
Coral Springs Charter has announced that Eric Windell would be the new varsity basketball coach for the basketball team.
“Besides his reputation and success in the basketball community, his enthusiasm, motivating and positive nature landed him the position,” said Athletic Director Mike Higgins.
Windell will be taking over for Lamar Twitty, who, after winning 50 games in three seasons, stepped down last week for personal issues.
Windell grew up in Coral Springs and attended Marjory Stoneman Douglas. He eventually went on to play basketball collegiately for the University of North Florida and then Nova Southeastern University.
After numerous ACL injuries, Windell shifted his attention to coaching. He started as a grad assistant under Tony McAndrew’s and most recently coached the CSC Middle School team to a 7-1 record last season.
“I am humbly honored to coach at Coral Springs Charter,” said Windell. It is a school in a city where I grew up, and being able to coach at the high school level at Coral Springs Charter is truly a blessing.”
Windell also hosts a basketball skills training program called Controlled Kaos Training for boys and girls from elementary school through high school in Deerfield Beach.
After much success from the Panthers the last few seasons, Windell will be faced with losing six seniors from the 2019-20 team that went 11-13 and won their district quarterfinal game against American Heritage.
While he never coached any of the team’s returning players this season, Windell feels like some of the middle schoolers he coached this season can make an impact on varsity next season.
Windell has always been a big believer in reinforcing each player’s confidence and pushes each player to achieve their own basketball goals. By doing so, it allows him to motivate and skill develop young basketball players to their highest levels.
Said Higgons, “We are very excited to have Eric take over the program. we look forward to seeing what he can build here and where he can take our program.”
Send Your News to Coral Springs #1 News Site Here.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. He is now attending the University of Florida as a graduate student. Matt also covers the New York Islanders for The Hockey Writer, the New York Mets for Last Word on Baseball and Florida Gators Athletics for ESPN Gainesville.
- News2021.02.27Marjory Stoneman Douglas Softball Wins 1st Game With Strong Offense
- News2021.02.27Marjory Stoneman Douglas Girls Soccer Incredible Run Ends at States
- News2021.02.27Marjory Stoneman Douglas Boy’s Lacrosse Off to Outstanding 3-1 Start
- News2021.02.27Coral Springs High School Boys Basketball Complete Remarkable Season