By: Matt Rothman
Coral Springs Charter has announced that Eric Windell would be the new varsity basketball coach for the basketball team.
“Besides his reputation and success in the basketball community, his enthusiasm, motivating and positive nature landed him the position,” said Athletic Director Mike Higgins.
Windell will be taking over for Lamar Twitty, who, after winning 50 games in three seasons, stepped down last week for personal issues.
Windell grew up in Coral Springs and attended Marjory Stoneman Douglas. He eventually went on to play basketball collegiately for the University of North Florida and then Nova Southeastern University.
After numerous ACL injuries, Windell shifted his attention to coaching. He started as a grad assistant under Tony McAndrew’s and most recently coached the CSC Middle School team to a 7-1 record last season.
“I am humbly honored to coach at Coral Springs Charter,” said Windell. It is a school in a city where I grew up, and being able to coach at the high school level at Coral Springs Charter is truly a blessing.”
Windell also hosts a basketball skills training program called Controlled Kaos Training for boys and girls from elementary school through high school in Deerfield Beach.
After much success from the Panthers the last few seasons, Windell will be faced with losing six seniors from the 2019-20 team that went 11-13 and won their district quarterfinal game against American Heritage.
While he never coached any of the team’s returning players this season, Windell feels like some of the middle schoolers he coached this season can make an impact on varsity next season.
Windell has always been a big believer in reinforcing each player’s confidence and pushes each player to achieve their own basketball goals. By doing so, it allows him to motivate and skill develop young basketball players to their highest levels.
Said Higgons, “We are very excited to have Eric take over the program. we look forward to seeing what he can build here and where he can take our program.”
Send Your News to Coral Springs #1 News Site Here.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. Originally from Long Island, he moved to Parkland shortly after high school. Along with Parkland Talk, Matt is the lone contributing writer for the New York Islanders with The Hockey Writers. He worked as the Assistant Sports Editor for his school paper, Eagle News.
- News2020.09.08Gavin Conticello: Coral Springs Charter School’s Sensational Senior
- News2020.07.07Coral Springs Resident Coby Mayo Inks Deal with Baltimore Orioles
- News2020.06.17Eric Windell Named Coral Springs Charter Boys Varsity Basketball Coach
- News2020.06.12Coral Springs’ Coby Mayo Drafted by Major League Baseball