By David Volz
The Forest Glen Middle School yearbook program was awarded first place in the American Scholastic Press Association Intermediate School division.
The yearbook was submitted to the American Scholastic Press Association in September. On January 23, Language Arts teacher Susan Montero received a notice in the mail with the award and feedback from the reviewers and judges.
It all came about after Montero, staff writers, photographers, and editors, wanted to make their 2023 yearbook “Got Upgraded” the best one.
To achieve this, they attended a Yearbook Palooza event organized by Herff Jones. The event aimed to educate attendees with the latest ideas and technology to create a high-quality yearbook.
According to Montero, her first yearbook was primarily photos and some captions. However, she and the students wanted more.
“I wanted to make memories. Last year, the students received iPads, so we wrote about that. We wrote articles about students and organizations at Forest Glen,” she said.
According to Montero, the students worked to create a book that illustrated their lives and accomplishments. The book is colorful and includes many short articles. She also wanted something written about every student.
Ericka Gaspard, a seventh-grader and assistant editor, was a member of the yearbook staff and enjoyed the camaraderie of working on the publication.
“We have bonded together. We have learned about photography and laying out a yearbook,” she said. “I enjoy going to school sports events to take photos.”
- David Volz has worked as a writer in South Florida for 35 years. He has written for the Sun-Sentinel, Hollywood Gazette, School Transportation News, South Dade News Leaders, Observer among others. He has an MA in Communications from Florida Atlantic University and a BA in Communications from Valparaiso University. Volz teaches Communications at Miami Dade College and Palm Beach State College. He lives in Coral Springs and enjoys running and participating in 5Ks and half-marathons.
- NewsFebruary 19, 2024Coral Springs Coaches Inducted into the Broward County Wrestling Hall of Fame
- EventsFebruary 16, 2024Coral Springs High School Drama Brings “Shrek the Musical” to Life
- NewsFebruary 7, 2024Forest Glen Middle School Earns 1st Place in National Yearbook Competition
- NewsFebruary 1, 2024Forest Glen Middle School Celebrates Families with Inclusion Night and Literary Fair