By: Shayne Gutierrez
Last Sunday, local Girl Scouts gathered for an Earth Day gardening and beautification event at Whispering Woods Park in Coral Springs.
The Whispering Woods garden project began in 2012 as part of Girl Scout USAs 100th Anniversary Forever Green Community Service Take Action initiative. Each year girls and adult volunteers return to the garden to maintain and enhance it. Being able to sustain a project after its initial creation is an important part of Girl Scout Take Action projects and was a commitment of ongoing service these local Girl Scouts made to the City Of Coral Springs when developing the garden at Whispering Woods Park.
This year’s event was especially unique and fun for girls and adults alike as it focused on beautification of the garden in addition to enhancing and maintaining it, while bestowing a permanent Earth Day message. Over the last few weeks Girl Scout troops collected, decorated and painted over 90 garden landscaping bricks, which were laid around the garden as a beautiful and colorful accent border on Sunday. The theme and messages on the painted bricks varied from “Love Our Planet ” to “Save The Trees”, but all conveyed the same message – that Girl Scouts are committed to caring for the earth, the environment around them, and to making the world a better place.
The Coral Springs Home Depot on SR7 also pitched in and donated 20 bags of river pebbles for the garden bed.
Over 50 Girl Scouts, adults, and family volunteers assisted in laying bricks and sprucing up the garden. The girls ages ranged from 5 year-old Daisy Scouts to 17 year-old Ambassador Scouts.
When asked why she participated in the event, Girl Scout Cadette Avril Englehart said, “Earth day might seem like such an overwhelming thing, but if everyone planted a garden on Earth day, we’d have changed the world by now.”
- Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- News2020.10.25Latest Crime Update for Coral Springs Through October 20
- News2020.10.23Trader Joe’s Sets Opening Date in Coral Springs
- News2020.10.22Early Voting Report for October 21 for Northwest Regional Library
- News2020.10.2112 Winners Announced for ‘The Importance of Voting’ Virtual Poster Contest