By: Sharon Aron Baron
On Tuesday, the Broward County School Board recognized a school bus driver and an attendant for helping a child get away from a man who was committing a lewd act.
According to CBS 4 News, on April 30, Gwendolyn Brinson and Kathy Ritter were in the school bus near the Coral Springs Country Club when they saw a strange guy in a car talking to a young girl who was walking home.
“I seen this vehicle there and I seen this young girl that I see all the time walking home,” Brinson said. “And she was to this vehicle and I just started hollering, ‘Stranger Danger! Stranger! Do not talk to stranger. Get away from him!’”
Police say the man was Jorge Garcia.
Ritter said Garcia was doing more than talking to the child.
“I seen his private part in his hand and it shocked me, I was like, ‘Oh my God! Little girl, little girl get away. This man is naked.’” said Ritter.
Ritter got off the bus and went to the child. She said Garcia started arguing with the bus driver saying he was asking the child for directions. Ritter told the girl to tell her mother what happened.
“She was just scared and ran off but I watched her go home,” Ritter said.
Investigators say Garcia jumped in his car and drove off but a neighbor who heard the commotion followed him and got a description of the car and the tag number.
Coral Springs Police say Garcia tried to lure two other children to his car as he left the neighborhood but they ran away. Garcia was arrested a few days later was charged with lewd and lascivious exhibition.
“It’s not safe with you on the street,” Judge Jay Hurley told Garcia. “Your bond’s $500,000 pretrial release.”
- Editor of Talk Media and writer for Coral Springs Talk. CST was created in 2012 to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Coral Springs and the rest of South Florida.
- News2021.06.23New Religious School Director Joins Temple Beth Orr in Coral Springs
- Events2021.06.22Coral Springs Festival of the Arts Accepting Artist Submissions for 2022 Event
- Events2021.06.22Ticket Alert: Comedian Steven Wright Performs at the Coral Springs Center for the Arts
- Events2021.06.18Volunteers Needed for Coral Springs Drive Clean-Up Day June 26